This toastie is just magical. To be honest I am at a loss for words to describe it. The lovely, yet occasionally bland combination of egg and creamed corn is brought to life by the tartness of the jalapeños relish. Or is it the other way around? Either way, I definitely recommend that you try this.
Inspiration for this toastie came from a Gourmet Traveller recipe – Poached eggs with creamed corn and green chilli relish. It did not take much to adapt this recipe for a toasted sandwich. It is exactly the kind of thing that I am looking to put on a toastie party menu. The addition of the relish makes me think of this as more as a cocktail party appetiser than a toastie. Brilliant!
Creamed Corn With Jalapeños Relish
Makes: 2 toasties
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp creamed corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- Jalapeños relish
- 4 slices of bread
- butter (optional)
- Preheat the toastie maker and butter each of the four slices of bread (optional).
- Place one slice of bread, butter side down, onto the bottom grill plate.
- Spoon half of the mixture onto the centre of the bread.
- Place the top piece of bread on top of the mixture, butter side up.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 for the other grill plate.
- Gently close the lid and allow to toast for approximately 3 minutes, or until the bread has browned sufficiently.
- To make the jalapeños relish:
- Combine 50 ml olive oil, 30 ml lime juice, 2 finely sliced pickled (aprox 2 tbsp) Jalapeños, 2 spring onions diced finely, 1 cove minced garlic, 2 tbsp coarsley chopped coriander.