I was at a loss on how to describe today’s toastie. Crunchy, Sweet Chilli Tuna was the name I could think of. When I first heard of this recipe, I thought that adding water chestnuts was a weird thing to do. Once again, I am glad I decided to suspend my disbelief and went ahead with this obscure addition.
Despite not having a great amount of flavour, water chestnuts add an amazing amount of texture to a meal. Their addition really helps this toastie to avoid being ‘sloppy’.
This is a delightful little toastie, you can never go wrong when combining cream cheese and sweet chilli sauce. I have added some mayonnaise to this mixture to add a little bit of a tang. I would probably leave this out if I were using a hot chilli sauce, as opposed to a sweet chilli sauce.
Crunchy Sweet Chilli Tuna
Makes: 2 toasties
- ½ cup tuna, drained
- 2 tbsp. cream cheese, diced
- 1 tbsp. water chestnuts, diced
- 1 tbsp. spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 4 slices of white bread
- butter (optional)
- Combine the chili sauce and mayonnaise in a bowl.
- Add the cream cheese, water chestnuts, spring onions, parsley and tuna. Stir to combine.
- Preheat the toastie maker and butter each of the four slices of bread (optional).
- Place one slice of bread, butter side down, onto the bottom grill plate.
- Spoon half of the mixture onto the centre of the bread.
- Place the top piece of bread on top of the mixture, butter side up.
- Repeat steps 4 to 6 for the other grill plate.
- Gently close the lid and allow to toast for approximately 3 minutes, or until the bread has browned sufficiently.