Monday, November 14, 2011

What To Do With Leftover Tuna - Crunchy Sweet Chilli Tuna


I was at a loss on how to describe today’s toastie. Crunchy, Sweet Chilli Tuna was the name I could think of. When I first heard of this recipe, I thought that adding water chestnuts was a weird thing to do. Once again, I am glad I decided to suspend my disbelief and went ahead with this obscure addition.

Despite not having a great amount of flavour, water chestnuts add an amazing amount of texture to a meal. Their addition really helps this toastie to avoid being ‘sloppy’.

This is a delightful little toastie, you can never go wrong when combining cream cheese and sweet chilli sauce. I have added some mayonnaise to this mixture to add a little bit of a tang. I would probably leave this out if I were using a hot chilli sauce, as opposed to a sweet chilli sauce.



Crunchy Sweet Chilli Tuna

Makes: 2 toasties

Ingredients:
  • ½ cup tuna, drained
  • 2 tbsp. cream cheese, diced
  • 1 tbsp. water chestnuts, diced
  • 1 tbsp. spring onions, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp. sweet chili sauce
  • 1 tbsp. mayonnaise
  • 4 slices of white bread
  • butter (optional)

Method:
  1. Combine the chili sauce and mayonnaise in a bowl.
  2. Add the cream cheese, water chestnuts, spring onions, parsley and tuna. Stir to combine.
  3. Preheat the toastie maker and butter each of the four slices of bread (optional).
  4. Place one slice of bread, butter side down, onto the bottom grill plate.
  5. Spoon half of the mixture onto the centre of the bread.
  6. Place the top piece of bread on top of the mixture, butter side up.
  7. Repeat steps 4 to 6 for the other grill plate.
  8. Gently close the lid and allow to toast for approximately 3 minutes, or until the bread has browned sufficiently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...