Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Leftovers - Fruit Mince


Whenever I think of Christmas, one of the first things that pop into my head is fruit mince tarts. I absolutely adore the combination of unsweetened short pastry with super sweet fruit served with a little dollop of cream.

I must admit, as I am getting older, the fruit mince that we purchase from the supermarket (Robertson’s) tastes more sickly sweet than super sweet. This year we mixed in equal amounts of Sunbeam mixed fruit.

This meant that we had more fruit mince than pastry! What a shame, into the toastie maker it went! I will not claim that a fruit mince toastie comes close to the taste of a fruit mince tart. It is different, but when served with ice cream it is a nice alternative. Perhaps this is a good alternative (sans ice cream) for those in a diet (assuming you do not butter your bread).

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!



Fruit Mince

Makes: 2 toasties

Ingredients:
  • ½ cup fruit mince
  • 4 slices of bread
  • butter (optional)

Method:
  1. Preheat the toastie maker and butter each of the four slices of bread (optional) and remove the crusts.
  2. Place one slice of bread, butter side down, onto the bottom grill plate.
  3. Spoon half of the fruit mince onto the centre of the bread.
  4. Place the top piece of bread on top of the mixture, butter side up.
  5. Repeat steps 3 to 4 for the other grill plate.
  6. Gently close the lid and allow to toast for approximately 3 minutes, or until the bread has browned sufficiently.

1 comment:

  1. I love mince pies, your fruit mince pies look so scrummy! I am definitely going to give making my own ago this coming christmas (so long as I remember)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...