Monday, February 6, 2012

Bacon - Bacon, Creamed Corn & Cheese


Are you a fan of creamed corn? I must admit I have not had a lot of experience with it. It never entered my mind to try a can until I decided to make a simple chicken and sweet corn soup. For some reason I expected it to be gluggy and taste artificial. To my surprise, it tasted like smooshed sweet corn, not gluggy or ‘creamy’ at all.

Unfortunately, my soup did not happen and I am sitting here with a tin of creamed corn, wondering what to do with it. I started to search for creamed corn recipes. Apart from the obvious soup recipes, I spotted a couple of search results relating to toasted sandwiches. The majority of these were creamed corn and ham.

Seeing as ham and bacon come from the same animal, today’s toasted sandwich is creamed corn and bacon. I do not want to repeat the disappointment of last week, so I have added some cheddar cheese and spring onions. I must admit, cheese and creamed corn is a wonderful combination and bacon is always fabulous. I was quite pleased with how this toastie came out.



Bacon, Creamed Corn & Cheese

Makes: 2 toasties

Ingredients:
  • ½ cup creamed corn
  • 50g bacon
  • 3 tbsp. spring onion, chopped
  • ¼ cup cheddar cheese, grated
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 slices of bread
  • butter (optional)

Method:
  1. Preheat the toastie maker and butter each of the four slices of bread (optional).
  2. Wrap bacon in a paper towel, microwave on high for 30 seconds and dice finely.
  3. Combine the creamed corn, bacon, spring onion and cheese in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  4. Place one slice of bread, butter side down, onto the bottom grill plate.
  5. Spoon half of the mixture onto the centre of the bread.
  6. Place the top piece of bread on top of the mixture, butter side up.
  7. Repeat steps 4 to 6 for the other grill plate.
  8. Gently close the lid and allow to toast for approximately 3 minutes, or until the bread has browned sufficiently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...